Did you know:
• Only around 15% of UK businesses have registered a trade mark overseas and only 9% registered a patent.
IP Awareness Overseas
• Around 25% of UK businesses operating overseas cite IP as one of their biggest concerns (UKTI survey)
• The territorial nature of IP rights is not well understood
• It’s a first to file system!
• Routes for enforcing rights overseas are complex and alleged infringers often have home player advantages
IPO Support for British Businesses
• General IP advice (raising levels of business awareness) http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ip4b.htm
• Online products and services including; IP Healthchecks: IP Masterclasses: IP Basics.
• Country specific advice http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ip4b/ip4b-abroad/ip4b-countries.htm
• Undertaking awareness events and workshops across the UK and overseas.
• Meeting UK businesses that seek advice on local IP matters
• Briefing business delegations, joint webinars with UKTI’s in-country sector leads etc
• Policy dialogue with host governments and stakeholders about local and international IP
China: Tom Duke, Tom.Duke2@fco.gov.uk
India: Anshika Jha, Anshika.Jha@fco.gov.uk
Brazil: Sheila Alves, Sheila.Alves@fco.gov.uk